Sunday, November 8, 2009

Ottawa Review - Finale

Okay, so the last installment, covering Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. At some point earlier in the week - Monday, I think - my mom called my great aunt and we made arrangements to go visit her for supper. My great aunt also then said she would call my cousin, whom I'd been meaning to call anyways to finalize arrangements to hang out, and would invite her as well.

I suggested getting some flowers to take her, and then I had to go hunting through the phonebook to find florists since we weren't near any grocery stores etc that would have something potted etc. Plans Wednesday morning were also made to meet my dad for lunch during his break. Needless to say the search for the florist ended up with us at the opposite end of Sparks Street because one of the closer ones was not to be found due to renovations in the one building. Of course after running to the end of Sparks Street and then back to the other end to meet dad, it wasn't until we had lunch in hand and were heading back to the hotel to eat it that we discovered a florist in the bunch of shops right by the hotel. But oh well. The one we ended up at was better. A little place on Sparks Street called Mariana's Flowers. Nice lady, nice little shop too - more than just flowers. We got my great aunt some gerbra daisies and another very pale blue delicate accent flower (I want to call it a lithanium or something like that) with some greenery. We also found a scarf to give someone as a christmas present. On the way there we also discovered another little shop that sold crafty stuff from around the globe, but I can't for the life of me remember the name :( Got some christmas/birthday presents there as well.

So running back to meet dad for lunch, we grabbedd subs from Subway, headed back to the hotel room, ate, then dad left again, and mom and I just chilled and relaxed. We figured there was no point in wearing ourselves out before dinner, and we deserved a rest after the 8.5 hour drive to Ottawa, the long walk after, walking all day Monday, and all day Tuesday. I also finished my halloween costume, and then when dad was done work for the day we headed over to my great aunt's.

We arrived to find my great aunt, my cousin that we knew would be there (who is my great aunt's granddaughter), and one of my great aunt's sons and his wife, who are my cousins whom I'd never met. We had a really nice dinner of ham, scalloped potatoes, mixed veggies, buns, and apple pie with ice cream. My great aunt loved the flowers, and she even busted out the GOOD dishes hahaha. After that we all just sat around and talked, and I showed my cousin a video on youtube of a little old lady crossing the road, and a guy in a Mercedes has to stop to let her cross, and she's... well, how about I just link you to it lol. Remember to open it in a new tab/window, I've got more to say! Anyways, everyone loved the video. After a while there we headed back to the hotel and went to bed.

Thursday my mom and I walked to the National Gallery of Canada and met up with my cousin. We were a teeensie bit late since mom kept falling asleep and refusing to get up. It took the me pouncing on her yelling "MOMMY! MOMMY! SANTA CAME!!!" and also yelling "It's after 10, we need to leave! WE NEED TO LEAVE IT'S AFTER TEN!!!" There were quite a few interesting things, but at the same time, a lot of crap. Yes, that's right, I said it - CRAP. Okay, sorry, but I don't think painting a giant canvas solid black is overly artistic. Nor does it make much of a statement. Not even if you paint the sides of the canvas (where you put staples to hold it to the wood) a different colour. Sorry, but no. "New" "contemporary" art actually needs to involve more than a "statement" for me - I won't even read the plaque if it looks that dumb. I don't mind a lot of the abstracts, that's usually what I paint. But a solid black canvas? No. And I have one those sitting beside me, because the black is a base layer. Oh, and they have two of those black squares. When we saw the second one my mom went "Oh look, a black bear in the dark!" Needless to say the other girl in the room kind of looked at us like "OH NO YOU DIIIIDANT!!" and her boyfriend was just like "*snerk**hides smile behind hand*" On the other hand, the good stuff they had was good. A lot of native art, some actual clothing from different times etc etc. It wasn't as cool as the War Museum though lol. They do have a giant spider statue outside named Maman though.

That night dad had a business dinner, so mom and I kidnapped my cousin back to the hotel to hang out, then the three of us went to the Glue Pot Pub for supper, and then back to the hotel for a bit. Then when I was supposed to be walking her out of the hotel so she could go home and do homework, we decided to sit and chat in the hotel's lower lobby, and have ice cream for like 2.5 hours hahaha. Was nice though. Worried mom a bit though, and she sent dad to find me. My cousin went home shortly after that and I went back upstairs to relax in bed and watch TV while editing some stuff for Trystn.

Friday mom and I packed. The hotel didn't have a hotub *gaspshockhorror* so there was no soaking sore muscles before we hit the road for home. That's what we did Friday. Dad had a short meeting in the morning and then we left and drove home. Traffic was pretty good considering we hit the Toronto area around rush hour on a Friday lol. I took like 700 photos hahaha. And that was my trip to Ottawa! Wheeee!

Just a few photos now. You can't take pics in the art gallery of the paintings :( And other than that I didn't take a lot those days that we haven't already seen lol

Maman attacks Notre Dame Cathedral!!
Photobucket

The exhibits on at the gallery
Photobucket

The view from Majors Hill Park on the way back to the hotel. I wish we'd known about that route on the way TO to gallery lol
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment