Sunday Night
We walked from our hotel to Sparks Street, which has very little traffic - authorized vehicles only, so mainly construction and the odd courier/delivery truck - because it is a mall of sorts. Most things were closed when we got there, which was usual since it was a Sunday and everything closes around 5p.m.. It's also late in the year for many festivals or anything to be happening there. We walked along Sparks Street for a couple blocks, then cut up to Wellington Street and walked by the Parlaiment Buildings because it was more interesting. We walked up and around and saw the statues on the grounds etc, took some photos, then continued over and around to the National War Memorial and then back along Sparks Street to find a place for supper. We had supper at Carmello's, which was yummy, although none of us were really hungry so we split a pizza, then headed back to the hotel to crash for the night.
Monday
Dad had to work, and mom and I decided to ease ourselves into the task of having to walk everywhere. We had breakfast/snack and then headed back over to the Parlaiment Buildings to see about getting tickets for a tour, as the last time we were in Ottawa we couldn't get tickets for a time until later in the day, so we went early so we could then kill time if needed. The tours of the Parlaiment Buildings are free, but most definitely guided, and you do need to go through a security check similar to the one at the airports. We got right in for a tour about 15 minutes after we arrived. It seemed a lot shorter than last time, but Parlaiment was in session, so we weren't allowed into the House of Commons, and a few of the other rooms were in use as well.
The Parlaiment Buildings are actually very nice to look at. They're mostly neo-Gothic style due to a fire or two, the Library is the only original part that didn't burn down, although the interior is newer due to a fire in the library, I think. At the end of the guided tour you can either leave, or go up into the Peace Tower and look out at the city from up there, and then come back down and see the Memorial Chamber as well.
After the indoor tour mom and I walked around the grounds and took daylight shots of the buildings and statues. There is a small fenced area off to the west side of the grounds that has a cat house, which was built in the '70s I believe. It's just a little doghouse-like structure with cut out doors, and straw inside for stray cats to have shelter, and there are also food and water dishes for them as well. The animals also get vetrinary care if needed.
Around the buildings they have statues, etc and you walk behind and see the back of the Parlaiment Buildings, and there are some awesome views of the river, and the city, and looking over to Quebec. After taking pics of the statues etc around there, we headed over to the National War Memorial to get daylight photos. The War Memorial is very pretty. It also has, at its base, The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Apparently most countries have a tomb/monument now for an Unknown Soldier, meant to honour all those who were lost and unable to be identified. This tomb contains the remains of an unknown soldier who died in WWI, and were brought over from a cemetary near Vimy Ridge. For the most part when we passed it, the area was empty, aside from the odd tourist, or people cutting through the area, or people maintaining it. But that day we were standing there, looking at it, reading the plaques, and taking photos, a woman came up, stopped by the grave, kneeled down, crossed herself, and prayed for probably about five minutes before crossing herself again and leaving. The only reason I can think of as to why this struck me as highly interesting was because I've never seen anyone do this aside from days when someone has actually died, or it's a ceremonial/special day, like Rememberance Day. I also just found the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier to be highly interesting - which to me, along with my "MUST SEE!!" fascination with the War Museum, is rather odd since I have very little connection to military or war... I'm not IN the military, I don't know a lot of people who are, etc. I also love seeing the photos of people who also care, where the grave is covered in Canadian flags, cut flowers, photos, letters, or poppies, like in THIS photo here.
After leaving the War Memorial, mom and I headed back down Sparks Street towards the hotel since dad would be off work soon. We stopped in at the Zellers and picked up some stuff we needed, and then went back to the hotel. That night we at the Bay Street Bistro, which had a menu almost identical to Carmello's (which that night, was NOT what I wanted to see since I find a lot Italian food gives me indigestion/heartburn - I blame the tomato sauce) but they had a very yummy pizza (chicken, cheese, pesto and tomato cubes.) After that I think we just went back to the hotel because mom was tired and it was COLD.
Next post will be about Tuesday! The day we ventured to the Canadian War Museum... and I took photos of EEEEVERYTHING (but I won't post them all. If any. We'll see! It's so hard to choose! I took like 236 photos!)
And now, a photo (or five) for you! EDIT: I shrunk them, because it DID cut them off (on my screen at least.) And I didn't like that. Grrrr. Fucking Blogspot... might have to switch to a different template again since that kind of pisses me off) So please remember to click to enlarge!
The Peace Tower, at twilight

The Library, at twilight. Minus the weathervane though, I cut it off by accident when taking the pic apparently. Another shot will be posted later.

The Parlaiment Buildings, center block, during the day

The front of The National War Memorial at night

The Tomb of the Unknown Solider, at night

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier during the day, to show the medieval sword (for courage), the laurel, the maple leaves and helmet on top

The back of the National War Memorial during the day



No comments:
Post a Comment